Friday, September 11, 2026

1001 VG Book #05 - "Combat" - (1977)


commentary about the book article for:

#5 = Combat (1977)
- by GM (Gary Penn)
- Atari 2600 (or Atari VCS at the time)

  - This was a great review - and it IS so true that with great play mechanics and a well-matched opponent the graphics fade into the background. 

  - I don't particularly like cartridges being described as "slammed" into the Atari. I was always careful. Were you a slammer?  Nor do I like "thumbed away at rubberized joysticks" -- because I for one just grabbed the joystick with the full hand, and base in the other, thumb on the fire button.  Using your thumb to work the joystick seems weird.

-- There were both tanks and planes… a lot of variations on planes and jets and other sky combat games. So to be fair, the cartridge had quite a bit more variety than hinted at…
 
- I hate the word seminal - I won’t use it. It's perfectly legitimate, I just think there are far better words that mean the same thing.  Look it up.

  - It is mentioned Combat was a pack-in game... and that's true, Pac-Man finally replaced it as the pack-in game in 1982. So, kudos to the article mentioning "for five years" which was indeed the time it was the bundled game for the 2600 from 1977-1982.

  - However… originally there was both an "Atari VCS" as well as a "Sears Tele-Games" console -- same internals, different brand & marketing paths.  Of note, though, is that the pack-in title was different on the Sears Tele-Games!  So, not everyone who bought a consle in those first five years automatically “slammed in” the Combat cartridge. But... it was a popular cartridge... so I'm sure the vast majority of people probably had it or bought it.

  - Roughly 4 million combined console sales by end of 1981… both Atari & Sears branded console sales in total.

VIDEO:

(Atari 2600 game - Combat gameplay footage)

No comments:

Post a Comment